Saturday, May 24, 2008

Serving Someone?


This morning I was reading in my journal from ten years ago. I was at approximately the same place in the Bible, and made a note of Proverbs 13:18 - "He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored." I wrote: This poverty can be in areas of our lives other than just financial; wherever we are undisciplined, whether health (diet, exercise); spiritual; friendships/relationships (Prov. 13:20 - "He who walks with the wise grows wise."); even cleaning! Lord, help me to be disciplined in every area of my life.

I still need more discipline in the area of house cleaning. Not a favorite thing to do. I'd rather whip up a batch of guava jam or even make a Chocolate Stout Cake (what I'm in the middle of at the moment - the icing is cooling).

I'm enjoying looking at my old journals. Here's something from 5 years ago: If life doesn't gain you eternity and knowing your Creator, then you've wasted it. There is no other worthwhile "success" as a human being. "Destruction is certain for those who quarrel with their Creator." Isaiah 45:9
All the things that fascinate, occupy our attention, give us our meaning in life, that are other than God, that draw us away, rather than toward him, will fail us. They'll prove utterly useless.

Do you dislike hearing about God that "He is a jealous God"? - Joshua 24:19 It tells me just how much he loves me. This verse is cross-referenced to Matthew 6:24 - "No one can serve two masters..." And to Joshua, who tells the people, "choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve..." ( Joshua 24:15) I'll bet the majority of people don't think they're serving anyone or anything. But, like the old Bob Dylan song, "You Gotta Serve Somebody."

No comments:

Post a Comment