Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Give a Goat

Absolute cuteness

What a great idea for Father's Day! A gift certificate from World Vision Ministries. They have an online catalog of over 100 useful, helpful & compassionate options: Fishing kits, a goat, a share in a pig, water pump, etc. etc. for folks in various countries, where needed.

I know my husband would also appreciate the idea. He often says he doesn't want anything for himself, has all he needs. And, since there are plenty of people in this world who can't say that and if we are in a position to do something about it, this is a terrific opportunity.

Giving is not my strong point. It's Bob's, but I am asking God to correct that in my character. To make me a more generous, compassionate person. He's got his work cut out for him. I've been reading Proverbs 31, wouldn't you know.
"She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy."

As an addendum, I read a related post in which the Whittaker family are eating rice one day a week as a way of teaching their children how much of the world is limited in what they have to eat. They are giving a portion of their food budget to Compassion's Food outreach. What an inspiring idea.

2 comments:

  1. What an excellent idea!
    To bad I already got him something a month ago that is very impractical and frivolous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother did this for Christmas one year. It was cool, he tailored the gift for the person he was doing it for. :) Just the kind of gift I need to receive.

    ReplyDelete