Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Greatest Joy

Back at Christmas we got a number of those family newsletters with photos and you, or I do sometimes wonder, should I write an answer or what? Well, it's six months later and since I did write a response to one in my journal, I want to post a version of that.

The letter included an essay this friend (he is either an agnostic or atheist, I forget which) had written on turning 65 - reflections on life and the joy to be found in love, beauty, discovery and accomplishment. God is so amazing. That day I read:
"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 4. What an awesome reminder. And in Psalm 53:1 - "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God."' I had started to think,"Wow, Dave has it all." Praise God, whose word is not far from me.

There is, of course, joy to be found in the things he mentioned, but thank God, that is not all there is, and even without one or more of them, we can rejoice and be glad in Christ our Savior, with the joy of the Spirit. Fortunately, looking forward to life eternal, even when things aren't going right for us here. The earthly joys of this present life are comparatively short-lived.

"To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of God." Revelation 2:7

No comments:

Post a Comment