Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Scripture, Land of Contrasts

"For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light."
"God is light; in him there is no darkness at all."
"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."

The Scriptures are full of these dynamic contrasts, light and darkness, good and evil, the righteous and the wicked, the redeemed and the lost, rebellion and obedience, those saved to eternal life and those destroyed forever. Today, many would say all that is just too black and white. Life is full of gray areas. I don't know about that. I'd prefer to trust God at his word.

I do know we are told Solomon was the wisest man ever to live, past, present or future. And, yet it was not enough to keep him from rebellion and disobedience. If only he had heeded his own advice in Proverbs.
"Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil."
Satan also had a high position, great beauty and wisdom. It didn't keep him from pride and rebellion. And the Tempter would seduce us into thinking we know better than God's precious Word. There is much in the Scriptures we don't understand - and possibly never will. Things that seem to contradict. I believe the key is in something Jesus said to his disciples:
"Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
Or, as David, with more understanding than his wise son:
"My heart is not proud, O Lord,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother"
To trust and obey, as the old song says.

No comments:

Post a Comment